Last night I received the print proofs of the new FreeBSD book.
I found two errors: a missing tab in a footnote, and an extra page before the index. I’ve fixed those, double-checked the file, and sent it to the printer. It should be available in print in the next week.
I’m very happy with the look of the final print. The cover is spectacular. Tech book usually have bland covers, but I decided to try something a little different. I’ll have custom covers like this on at least two other books, FM: ZFS and FM: Specialty Filesystems. (And before you ask: no, no release date yet, except “2015.”)
Three books should give me enough data to see if there’s a return on investment for fancy illustrated covers on tech books. If the book doesn’t sell well enough, I’ll fall back to more traditional tech book covers based on photographs.